What are Rare Earth Elements?
Rare earths are essential components in a wide range of industrial, clean energy and information technology applications. Today, MP Materials produces a rare earth concentrate, and by the end of 2020 will produce high-purity separated Neodymium and Praseodymium (NdPr) oxide, Lanthanum and Cerium oxides and carbonates, and a “heavy” rare earth concentrate.
- Rare earths are a series of chemical elements found in the earth’s crust that are vital to many modern technologies
- Extensive processing is required to separate rare earth elements from mined ore
- While the elements themselves aren’t rare, ore bodies containing sufficient concentrations to make processing economically viable are exceedingly rare. Mountain Pass is one of the richest deposits of rare earth elements in the world.
- Unique magnetic and electrochemical properties of the elements enable technologies to perform with greater efficiency, performance, and durability—often by reducing weight, emissions, or energy consumption
- Rare earth-enabled technologies power global economic growth, enable life-saving products, and help shrink our carbon footprint